As the whole country celebrated the Queen’s diamond jubilee, freemasons from Rugby were cheered as they joined in the fun by taking part in the parade through the town’s crowd lined streets dressed in full Masonic regalia.
Some of the 28 Masons who participated. They included an Entered Apprentice, Master Masons,
3 Lodge Masters, Provincial Stewards and other Officers and a Grand Officer.
Around 30 different organizations, including local charities, military personnel, youth organizations and various associations processed to the Rugby Clock Tower (which dates from 1887 and was built to mark the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria) where The Lord Lieutenant unveiled a commemorative plaque in honour of the occasion. Rugby Borough Council had commissioned the plaque, which was crafted by local stonemason and freemason Paul Timms, who is a member of Three Spires Lodge 6940.
The parade then moved off again, finishing in Caldercott Park, where the celebrations continued. Throughout the day several charities made a point of approaching the lodge members to thank the Freemasons of Rugby for their very generous support over many years.
(l-r) Provincial Mentor Stuart Esworthy
and retired Deputy DC David Greenwood who got everyone at least to walk in the right direction!
Rugby is fortunate to have seven full-time and three part-time Craft Lodges, two Royal Arch Chapters, a Mark Master Masons Lodge and various other additional Masonic Orders. The members own and operate the Masonic Hall which is in Church Walk.